Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Top 10 Premier League Managers I'd Want at Tottenham

We've seen just enough of the Premier League season to make wild assumptions about all of its managers. I don't look at managers in a vacuum though, I view them all through potential Tottenham lenses. As such, let's take a look at the ranking of the top 10 current Premier League managers that I'd want to coach my beloved Club.


  1. Jose Mourinho- Look I get it, he's a complete prick. He might have the easiest job in the League currently given Chelsea's finances to boot so I can understand why some would question his managerial ability. However, this game is about winning trophies and "the special one" does that on a regular basis. Add in the fun he'd with Arsene Wenger and the Scum and he tops the list for me.
  2. Garry Monk- I love his style. I love that he's English. More importantly, I love that he has Swansea punching significantly above their weight. He's also a reported lifelong Spurs fan so that has to move him up the list for any supporter. He made Gylfi Sigurdsson look like Messi so he must be doing something right.
  3. Mauricio Pochettino- A lot of fans have taken to criticizing Poch over his lack of a plan B, emphasis on youth, etc but I think he's done a fair job so far. Time will tell whether or not he'll take us from good to great, but I still think he has a fair chance. Don't forget how much we all loved him when he had Southampton playing beautiful football. We've seen glimpses and I think we'll get there.
  4. Roberto Martinez- I know that Everton haven't exactly clicked on under Martinez, but I still like the cut of his jib. He's an affable fellow who is engaging with the media and also with his players. He has instituted an attractive style of football for the Toffees and knows how to work with a Club that isn't super rich. He might not be a sexy choice but he's a proven winner.
  5. Ronald Koeman- Southampton still play really attractive football despite the departure of Pochettino. The real question is, is Koeman just carrying on the Pochettino tradition or has he added his own style to the Saints? I think it's a combination of both and that's good enough to hit fifth on this list.
  6. Manuel Pellegrini- This man is underrated as a manager. He might not be a tactical genius, but he is able to meld a very diverse group of egos into a coherent team more often than not. This is a skill that most managers simply don't have. My concerns for him and Spurs would be that he has no clue how to work with a budget. Not sure he'd have us punching above our weight.
  7. Alan Pardew- I know most people don't like him and I agree, he's an a#$hole of epic proportions. However, he has Crystal Palace playing great right now and you can't question his managerial prowess. He's sort of like Mourinho lite in that respect. Add the fact that he's on his best behavior right now in hopes of getting the England job and it'd be a good time to have him at Spurs.
  8. Louis Van Gaal- This is quite a drop for a man that many of us wanted Spurs to hire just over a year ago, but his style hasn't exactly lit the Premier League on fire. He is a quality manager tactically, but his arrogance and rigidity have caused him to fail for United at times. I think if he were at our help we'd finish fifth every year despite playing a variety of crazy formations.
  9. Tony Pulis- This no-nonsense manager wouldn't mesh well with those of us who crave stylistic football, but we wouldn't be in any danger. He'd sort out of our defense and make us a really difficult task to defeat. Unfortunately we would finish 10th every year and die of boredom in the process.
  10. I don't think he is a particularly astute tactical manager and he's been found out after Suarez's departure. However, he does preach an attacking, attractive style of football and seems capable of conning management to spend loads of money despite a lack of results. I think our entertainment factor under Rodgers would be high, but our results would be uneven. Ironically, I think he's got a little Harry Rednapp to him. Make of that, what you will.
Hope you've enjoyed this. Please share wherever possible and comment away. I want to hear your reactions!

No comments:

Post a Comment