Thursday, August 13, 2015

Building a Premier League Squad with NBA players


If you have read much of this blog you can tell that the two most common subjects will be professional soccer and professional basketball. The Premier League and the NBA are my preferred leagues to watch respectively. Rarely do I get a chance to write on both subjects at once so I've made one up. Hope you enjoy this piece where I form a starting 11 entirely from current NBA rosters that would compete in the Premier League. There are few rules to this exercise but it can only be active NBA players and selections are made irrespective of their actual soccer ability. For instance, I wouldn't select Dirk Nowitzki because he played a lot of soccer in his youth. Players are only selected on their athletic abilities and mental makeups. So without further explanation, enjoy my squad. Would love to hear your thoughts!

Keeper- Anthony Davis
This was a tough choice right off the bat. Picking one of the NBA's best shot blockers leapt immediately to mind. I considered DeAndre Jordan, but don't think he has the quick feet I'd like in a keeper. My dark horse thought was Willie Cauley Stein based on his length and switching ability, but I'm not sure he has the mental focus required. In the end, I choose the Brow because he is the total package. He has the length, quick feet and focus to keep the ball out of the net.

Center Backs- Tony Allen and Marcus Smart
I bet these choices surprise a few people but both of these guys embody toughness and the competitive streak I want to protest the goal. I considered going with Mike Conley to be a steady presence in concert with Allen, but ultimately think Smart makes the more intimidating pair. I considered a number of taller players but worried they lacked the foot speed of these two. 

Left Back- Mike Conley
I think I may need someone to calm the center backs down and Conley can certainly do that. Don't forget, he is left handed so he fits comfortably on that side of the pitch. He provides a solid two way option at left back that can contribute on both ends. I considered other lefties like James Harden and Manu Ginoibili here but Conley wins out due to his all around game.

Right Back- John Wall
With three defense first players in my back four I felt like I could be more adventurous at this spot. In steps John Wall as one of the fastest and most attack minded players in the NBA. He has enough pace to provide great overlapping runs and to recover on the other end when needed. 

Defensive Midfielders- Kawhi Leonard and Draymond Green
I wanted two guys in the middle of the pitch who can anchor the squad defensively while providing some threat moving forward. Both players have the bulk required and the quickness to guard more diminutive speed merchants. They also are constantly thinking one step ahead of opponents on the defensive end and are capable of countless interceptions as a result. There were lots of quality choices here but I wanted size, strength and height.

Left Winger- James Harden
Again, I wanted a left handed player on the left side of the pitch and it came down to Harden and Ginobili. With Conley protecting the position I felt good about going offensive first with my choice. Harden's ability to irritate defenders and draw fouls in dangerous areas would be a perfect fit for this team.

Center Attacking Midfielder- Steph Curry
I want my number 10 to have creative license all over the pitch and Curry is the most dangerous perimeter player in the NBA today. Imagine him pulling the strings and spraying passes all over the attacking third and just when you focus on the pass, bam, he drills a laser into the back of the net. He isn't the strongest player and might get knocked off the ball a bit but I'll take the creativity and compensate for the rest.

Right Winger- Russell Westbrook
I have literally considered the mercurial Westbrook at every spot on the pitch. He embodies the competitive spirit and motor required to be an elite Premier League player. On the right he would have license to tirelessly torment the opponent up and down the field. He would no doubt attack goal with wreck less abandon and his interchange play with Curry would be a nightmare for defenders.

Striker- LeBron James
I had to think about this one quite a bit as well. I considered going with a more selfish attacker like Kobe or D Wade but decided I wanted a more all around player instead. LeBron's physical prowess also worked in his favor because he could threaten defenses with a run in behind while also holding up player for attacking wingers. We would probably have to stress to him in training to always have an eye for goal but it's always easier to teach a player to try harder to score more as opposed to teaching him to involve his teammates.

Thanks for reading and let me know who you'd select instead. If the interest dictates I'll do a blog in reverse as well. I'll build an NBA squad out of Premier League stars.




No comments:

Post a Comment